Categories
News US & World

Blue Green Algae Kills 3 Dogs in North Carolina

A North Carolina woman took her three dogs to a pond to play. Within hours, her pups had died from toxic algae.  Melissa Martin and Denise Mintz took their dogs to a pond in Wilmington on Thursday night, but just 15 minutes after leaving the pond one of the dogs began to have a seizure.  Martin tried rushing the dog to a vet however, upon their arrival two of the other dogs started seizing.  By midnight all three dogs died.

The culprit, Martin’s veterinarian said, was poisoning from blue-green algae present in the pond where they played.
“What started out as a fun night for them has ended in the biggest loss of our lives,” Martin wrote in a Facebook post that has since been shared more than 15,000 times.
With such an unfortunate story, Martin is staying positive and wants to make a positive change to make other pet owners aware of a similar situation.
“I will not stop until I make positive change,” she said. “I will not lose my dogs for nothing.”
Blue-Green algae is a common thing in summer when waters are stagnant.  Some algae blooms can be seen on the surface but others are not so easy to detect.  The best way to avoid harmful situations is to stay out of the water if you smell anything or the water just doesn’t look right.  Hopefully, with her story going viral it makes people aware of harmful water.

1 reply on “Blue Green Algae Kills 3 Dogs in North Carolina”

If possible, I would like to know the location of the toxic pond. I was born and raised in Wilmington and have friends and relatives living there. They have pets and I would like to notify them of the danger to pets and children.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *