HTC EVO 4G – Official List of Sprint 4G Coverage Areas (Cities)

Android Powered HTC EVO 4G – Here is the official list of the current, and future, list of Sprint 4G coverage areas ans cities.

So have you visited your local Radio Shack or Best Buy yet to pre-order your HTC EVO 4G? The HTC EVO 4G is supposedly the hottest new mobile device to hit the market. And when it says “4G”, it is actually referring to the mobile web browser – not a “4th generation” version of the device.

If you pre-ordered your HTC EVO 4G already, then you might be wondering exactly where can you get this super fast 4G web browsing speed here in the United States!

I’ve gone through the official Sprint 4G coverage area web page and put together a nice, neat little list for your to see all the cities where Sprint currently offers 4G coverage.

Cities where Sprint currently has 4G coverage:

• Los Angeles, California
  • Miami, Florida
  • Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • St. Louis, Missouri

Sprint 4G pricing:

From what I understand, if you purchase the HTC EVO 4G, you will be required to pay an additional $10 for th e4G coverage and data plan, regardless if you live in one of the cities listed above or not.

107 Responses to “HTC EVO 4G – Official List of Sprint 4G Coverage Areas (Cities)”

1. Balh

What happened to San Fran?

• Chris

I don't think this list is accurate or complete SF has been set to roll out in the first 3 quarters of 2010 for sometime. Our IT dept has received calls from Sprint Business Account reps promising this with static IP's

2. Sprint or not Sprint

I've been with Sprint for over fifteen years and It kinda looks like it's not so good when you look at the map! In fact, a large part of the US. Population will not even get WiMAX even if a WIMAX tower in your city. Doesn't WIMAX has a short wave spread (distance) it can reach?

I'm ok with 3G but not an extra ten bucks a month ($120.00 a year) for something I may never see!

Kevin

• Sprint or not Sprint

The coverage will be far apart won’t it? I live in Orange County Ca. and will probably not get coverage for some time! I still think sucks that you have to pay ten bucks a month for 4G when you won’t even get it! They should have just lumped it into in the service contract somewhere and we wouldn't even be discussing the 4G fee.

Kevin

3. Ben

I don't understand why everyone thinks you have to pay for the $10 e4G coverage. That is just not true. I've talked with a Sprint rep, and from what I understand you don't have to add that on. Has anyone else heard this too?

• KIKI

YES I HEARD THAT BUT YET I GOT MY NEW HTC EVO THRU WIREFLY AND THEY STATE IT IS REQUIRED SO I HAVE TO PAY THE EXTRA 10.00 A MONTH FOR NOTHING BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE 4G IN WEST PALM BEACH, FL! UGH

4. Chris

I spoke with our Firms Sprint Business Account rep. and got a different story. I was told Sprint has multiple 4G service providers and was assured Sprint is set to roll out 18 cities in the next 2 quarters. I included below is a list that was sent over to me by our rep. I am slightly torqued as SF should be on there but the rep again assured me SF is due by the end of the 3rd quarter. This list also makes more sense to me as Clearwire has a rather large footprint in central CA.

Here is the list she sent me.
    Merced, CA
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Wilmington, DE
    Grand Rapis, MI
    Eugene, OR
    Yakima plusTri-Cities, WA

• W_Ballz

This list is totally false. To take 4G technology and apply it to the smallest possible city in one of the biggest states (like California) is outrageous. Merced, Modesto, Stockton & Visalia combined equals almost half of Sacramento and at least one-fourth of Los Angeles. It does not make any sense whatsoever that farmland cities (stockton, merced, etc…) receives 4G coverages whereas larger major city like L.A., San Fran, Sac, San Diego, etc.. doesn't. Your sprint business account rep is either lying or does not know what she/he is talking about.

• Bob

It does make sense that rural areas get wireless internet coverage, since wired coverage is limited or non-existant. Stockton/Lodi has Clearwire, which is upgrading to Clear (4G), so not so unthinkable.

5. Ricky

You are missing a few cities that are supposed to get 4G by the end of this year. One of them being Washington DC, which although doesn't show up on the coverage map as having 4G coverage, it has actually had it for a couple of weeks.

6. Lorentz Morrow

I thought Kansas City, Missouri was scheduled for 2010.

7. Informed

I do not know how many times this has to be said, the $10 fee is NOT for 4G, it's for premium data.

• Alex American

That is neither here nor there. When Sprint touts it's phone as a 4G superphone and then says you have to pay $10 extra, whether you live in a 4G area or not, the perception, and extremely understandably so, is that you have to pay $10 for 4G coverage even when you don't get it. It's either false advertising or an extremely badly executed marketing strategy. Let me put it to you this way — does anyone care that when the South used to have poll taxes in order to vote, Southerners would repeatedly holler, "the voting fee is NOT for keeping poor Negros out of the voting booth, it's for state's rights to raise revenue." Sure, the latter was true, but what was the perceived and actual effect?

8. Rich Kneece

You do have to have it as an add-on, but it's for the additional data usage…not 4G. Statistics show that iPhone users use more than double the bandwidth than other users (and slow their connections), so in my mind this is a fair add-on.

Keep in mind that Sprint plans are cheaper than Verizon or AT&T, since ALL mobile-to-mobile minutes are free (regardless of the carrier), so unless you're calling a lot of landlines you can get away with fewer minutes. The $69.99+$10 for voice + unlimited data is a heck of a lot cheaper than the equivalent with AT&T (over $110).

Also, Boston is on the list of 2010 4G cities. Actually, they've lit it up a few times during testing and people have been able to use it.

• Bradleyw801

Plus, the $10 a month gives you true unlimited. Verizon has a 5GB cap on "unlimited" data, and AT&T is now capping their unlimited at 2GB. Sprint is the only company that will give you true unlimited 3G, and if you are one of those lucky cities, 4G.

By the way, Salt Lake is already getting Wimax coverage all over downtown. Sprint hasn't officially launched it, but I get consistent 3.5 – 4.5MB downloads at my office using my Evo as a hotspot.

• slc-jk5

Bradleyw801,
        Are you paying more than the $10 Evo plan premium when you use your Evo as a hotspot? I just tried a speed test in Murray & got 650k download, so I guess WiMax doesn't reach this far south of downtown Salt Lake.

• Tryco2

thats not true. you only get "unlimited" if your in a 4G coverage area. sprint has a 5GB cap on its 3G data package (im a longtime user of the htc touch with data package and now the proud owner of the new overdrive mobile wifi ap, so i know)

they used to claim unlimited 3G because they figured no one would ever hit the 5GB cap, and unless your using your phone as a modem (which i was for a while), you wont. look at anyone's plan with the data package and its clearly 5GB for 3G.

(why every ohio city but columbus? its the highest populated city and no slated 4G?)

9. Phil

It would be nice to see Detroit get 4G. Why would some hick cities in the south get it before?

• dunno

it was explained to me once that usually the "hick" or smaller market locations are first because they are sort of a test market. If there is a problem there are far less customers impacted. Not sure if this is true but it does make sense to me.

• xcv

Yeah send 4g to michigan!!!!!

10. @SocialMedia_SEO

Hi Stephanie – the Sprint link you provided sends me to a page full of information / navigation, but nowhere do i see the link to where Sprint provides a comprehensive list of 4G coverage maps. I think I've watched every video already (several times) trying to extract where the coverage cites are mentioned.

Am I just missing it???

Or is Sprint.com making it very DIFFICULT to find a Sprint generated 4G coverage map?

Can you please provide me with a link (from Sprint) that is a map showing the up to date 4G coverage???

Until then, my list – although not 100% accurate perhaps – is more comprehensible than 99% of the websites out there – including Sprint.com

11. Cellularcrazy09

Well these hick southern cities aren’t crowded by your g*y conventions. Go suck on a ding a ling while you wait for 4g!

12. Sprint or not Sprint

Kevin

13. Anonymous

@Phil

And blue-collar, redneck Detroit is NOT a hick city? LMAO!

14. Mary

So is little Rhody (Providence, RI) getting 4G in the near future?

15. Mark

Sprint can bite it. Sprint lies, they have always lied. As a former employee of sprint I can tell you this is the same BS song and dance they played with 3G, and back then they actually OWNED the towers unlike today when they depend on Clearwire, the third party they sold all their towers to last year.

16. Mark

No matter where they launch their 4G it still will not make up for the call centers being in the phillipines, the lack of basic english communication from reps, and the fact they have struggled in desperation for the last 5 years after the merger with nextel. You want to know how you are being screwed? Right now Boost Mobile (aka Sprint) is selling your 3g data unlimited plans for a flat monthly rate of $60, no tax, no additional BS sprint fees…FLAT $60. Why? Because they were bleeding subscribers like a siv.

17. Mark

18. Mark

• andrew

call centers are americans again. you have old information that they've been improving on for years…

19. Mark

The best data speeds with crappy customer care, is still crappy customer care. Not owning your own cell sites as a major cellular provider means you are depending on that other company to let your customers through. Who do you think gets preferance you or a Clearwire customer if you both dial and the tower is nearly full?

If you want a snapdragon processor and android tech, head to verizon(who I do NOT work for btw). Fact: you are paying for a service you will not get, will not see launched on time, and are wasting money on a device that is not needed yet. You are doing the same thing that foolish people did back in the early 2000s when they bought AMD 64bit processors with no OS to run at that processor speed. Get a phone that works on the tech that is avalible NOW, not in 2 years when sprint gets off its lazy duff and puts 4g out.

• Xerxes

First, Sprint owns 56.5% of Clearwire, meaning it has a controlling interest in Clearwire. That should answer your question on what Sprint owns. In case you didn't know what a controlling interest means I suggest you look it up on Google.

• Tricia

Mark, I work for a company that has over 75,000 employees. Verizon do not offer good phone signal. My sprint phone goes around for usage in all of the meetings cause most of the upper mamagement can't get any signal with there BlackBerrys.

• MJ Safe

The Philippines is the 4th largest Speaking Nation. I lived over there and was surprised even fish vendors in the market can at least understand english. Likewise their literacy rate is above 90%. Likewise, evereone over there have cellphones some are more advance than what we have here in the US specially those Nokias

20. Curtis

@Mark

Well, we can tell you’re not a current Sprint customer or just haven’t dialed *2 in a long time. I had an issue with switching phones the other day and talked to three different CS reps…all American. Hell, one lady even identified herself as being in Topeka, KS. Kansas =/= Philippines.

Gotta love people spewing BS about a company when they don’t have the facts….

• Showkoy

I lived in the Philippines, most speak English better than the knuckleheads in this country who want to "Axe" me a question.

21. carlos

I’m thinking of gettin the htc evo 4g. But new york state doesn’t have 4g coverage. How come a city with a lot of business and people, it doesn’t have 4g??
    I need and advice should I get because maybe in 2011 nyc would have 4g or don’t get it?

22. Tricia

Ben, everyone have to pay $10 if you purchase the Htc Evo

• HTC Lover

4G ($10) is an add-on "IF" you want 4G speed. If you don't, you'll just get 3G speed (what you have now). You don't have to pay $10 if you want the phone.

• cfghjk

nope, you still gotta pay 10$ a month, i got it and its required..

23. Guest

You all need to just chill and wait your turn for 4g to come to your citie & state, you're not going to get it faster by b**ching and comparing sites and what people said and who said what… If you want to pay $10 for 4g do so if not stop complaining, sprint is by far the cheapest out there, no one is forcing you to pay $10.

24. HTC Lover

You have a good point, sprint is cheaper than most of the other carriers out there, specially for data, so $10 shouldn't be a problem as a add-on (is not mandatory) You can still use the htc evo w/o 4G but won't get the speed that 4G provides.

25. Qianqian

I don't know if I miss anything, a number of people in this thread had mentioned that Sprint is cheaper than other carriers, but for a family plan, is this still true? My current carrier is AT&T, my wife and I have the 550min plan for $60 a month. I pay another $30 for unlimited data on my phone only (my wife does not need data). That comes together as $90/mo. But for Sprint, the cheapest family plan is $130, although it has everything, but I don't think it adds any thing than what I actually need, and I need to pay $40/mo extra.

Because my 2yr contract is about to end, I am seriously thinking to jump boat to Sprint or Verizon, as they have good Android phones. But I can not figure out a convincing price for a family plan. Anyone want to commend? thanks

• Paul

If you AND your wife were to need data, GPS, and all the sprint goodies…. how much would it cost for AT&T?

Since the question above is not relevant to your situation, you are getting a better deal from AT&T. If the situation above you is relevant to you, then yes Sprint spanks AT&T. Sprint CS is also very giving if you have problems with your service. I've heard of 5 lines, everything on it, for $40/mo total.

26. Joe

Can anyone give out a link stating that the $10/mo for 4g is optional? I've tried seeing if this was true by creating a new line online, and it states that it is a requirement.

27. Disappointed

These maps are a lie! Does anyone in any city actually get a 4G connection, so far I have visited a few on this list and only ever get a 3G connection — Disappointed, with a 2 year plan… I checked the maps before I bought, the areas I'd be visiting were listed. Once I got to these areas and connected with the sierra 3g/4g device only able to get 3g? and the maps changed to a lesser coverage all orange? They were blue (4g) when I connected from and AT&T network. Once again does anyone actually seen the 4g connection yet?

28. WILL

WHAT ABOUT DETROIT, MI?

29. Sill

So I am one of the poeple who got the phone for free from a friend. 4g is not yet available in my area but sprint is forcing everyone to pay the extra $10 anyway.

I think it should be illegal to charge customers for a service that does not yet exist. Hopefully they get sued as they got sued in the past for similar illegal behaviour.

If you are contemplating to sign up with sprint for whatever reason, Don't do it!!!

30. Randy

are these right there should new york come on

31. countrymalenc

Please check spelling for GREENSBORO NC

32. Tricia

33. Don't update hero either

wrong… they collect the fee even if you can’t et 4g

34. Hater

I wouldn’t by a damn thing from sprint. They lied about coverage when I bought my wireless card, when I tried to fight them on the bill they sent me to collections, collections said they closed the account after I paid up and low and behold another sprint bill in the mail. They cannot provide the service they promised.

35. Omniinow

when you say 4G will cover San Francisco does that mean the whole San Francisco Bay Area i.e. SF, San Jose, Oakland

36. Patrick

iPhone Lover

• Android Vs. Epic

i phone can’t even compare to the evo or epic. people who love i phones so much are like a little kid who is going to the store to get his favorite candy bar. iphones suck

37. Wreckdiver104

The point is ur paying $10 for a service they’re not providing. Multiply this by millions of subscribers, and they’re making alot of $. HTC lover says that the $10 for this non-existent 4G service(in NYC) is not mandatory. I purchased the Epic and Sprint is charging me the $10. Can someone confirm whether it is mandatory or not?

• Dopeejoe85

it is mandatory on any 4G phone (evo and epic)

• cdgibson

I read that the $10 extra is not for 4G…it said that because you’re expected to use more data than expected to use due to the elegance of the phone.

38. TXAAAMT

Sprint, once again has promised something they aren’t prepared to deliver!
    They advertise this 4G like it’s just out there everywhere and all you have to do is buy their phone and their plan and you’re there!…WRONG!!!!!!!!!!WRONG!!!!!!!!!!WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sprint’s 4G coverage is only available in a very limited number of areas, as for my area, an Email response to my question about their poor coverage said, and I quote, “4G in your area is only available in the streets”!
    I guess I will have to live in the streets to use my $200 phone and my 2yr plan + $10 every month!
    I may be wrong but I don’t think my neighbors will like it much if my couch is in the middle of the street when they try to go to work in the morning!!!!

39. DirtKing

Need it be said that everyone with a “4G” phone HAS access to the 4G network. Anytime you travel or get into a 4G area you can pick up the signal and use it. It seems like people just want to whine and complain.

40. Valencianathan

I got a 4G signal in San Jose , CA

41. Jim

38 US cities now have 4-G service, 7 more to be online by first quarter of 2011.

42. Greg

Where can I see the 4g list of cities for 2011?

• SMSEO

Clear has the best Sprint 4G coverage map showing both current and future 4G metro areas.

Check it out here >

43. charlie

There is not 4G on charlotte north carolina. I do get 3g everywhere but 4g one time and that it, after that time never again